Tuesday 26 April 2011

Weaning, what age and method?!

As a first time mum, you don’t ever know when the right time is to do things. Each baby is different and each parent believes things should be done at different times. So when it comes to weaning, when is the best time?

The government are now saying nothing until 6 months, yet all the packaging in the supermarkets sells food in from 4 months plus and if your baby needs bulking out, you can feed it baby rice earlier. Also, I had read up on baby led weaning, which is giving your baby solids, and basically what you eat from 6 months, without giving them pureed foods.

I had planned to do the baby led weaning route and had been told you can give them food slightly before 6 months (which my daughter is) and when she grabbed out for my food, I knew that she was ready, but it is scary to do, especially during the day when I’m ion my own as they do gag on the food sometimes and I’m worried she will choke and I won’t know what to do. So, being a bit of a cop out I went and got some pureed food and mushed up some rusks which she absolutely loved and gobbled a plate full straight away.

I’m going to introduce a bit more solid food, like pasta and rice and potato, all the things that can’t completely break off and choke her but she will be tasting more things and not having everything mushed up for her. So, tonight she will try a bit of fish pie and see how she gets on!

Has anyone else been frightened by the baby led weaning or not sure when to introduce things? I’d love to hear other people’s stories about what worked best for them and at what age.

Emily x
Image: federico stevanin / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...